Industry: Hospitality / Tourism
- An outgoing, friendly and confident personality
- Enjoy interacting with people from all over the world
- Well groomed appearance
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team
- Reliable and responsible
- Good command of the English language, written and spoken
- Ability to work flexible hours between 7am and 10pm daily
- Computer literate with good skills in Outlook, Word, Excel, Internet
- Currently studying Hospitality or Tourism and need a formal internship as part of your studies; for a minimum period of 3 months
- General front desk reception duties
- Checking guests in and out
- Receiving and receipting payments
- Guest reservations on online booking system
- Guest enquiries with regards to travel planning, car rentals, room reservations
- Answering switchboard / telephone
- Tour sales and bookings
- Café / bar shift when required, including coffees, drinks, stocktaking, restock of bar
- Assisting with any duties as required by Duty Manager
- Work 35 hours a week, 7 hours per day, including weekends and Public Holidays
South Africa’s original, multi award-winning hostel and travel centre is simply Cape Town’s hottest, most social spot to stay.
Situated in the heart of Cape Town, it offers all the facilities you can expect from a great hotel; with stylishly decorated Afro-chic rooms, a travel desk and fully licensed restaurant and bar.
We offer our interns:
- The opportunity to gain invaluable working experience
- Free shared accommodation if required (you are responsible for your own meals, internship is unpaid)
- Enjoyable working atmosphere with great team members
- Opportunity to complete your internship with a well-known establishment
- Ability to meet interesting people from all over the world
- Opportunity to go on educational tours
Duration: 3 Months minimum
Intern Feedback February 2014
I did my internship here at the backpack almost for 6 month at the reception and sometimes behind the bar. It was really varied.
I met many international and national people from all over the world. It was one of my best experiences and I enjoyed it really much. It was excactly that what I except.
Everyone took so good care about me and were very helpful. I have gained a lot of new knowledges and experiences for my future.
I am quite sad to leave and I am sure that I will be back.
Thank you so much for that
Intern Feedback July 2014
My name is Mariano, I am 25 years old and I am from Argentina. I worked at The Backpack from late November, until the last days of May at the bar and at reception. As I came to South Africa as a exchange student, and needed to look for a job, I can not be happier that I found this place to work. The Backpack is a very organized hostel with an excellent vibe. From the housekeeping staff, up to the owners, Lee and Toni, I received the love and support I needed being so far away from home. Being my first time working in a hostel, I’m glad to say that I learned what are the basics to maintain a great reputation even after more than 20 years, and also the tools to be a good worker.
I had the opportunity to meet travellers from all around the world, and each one of them gave me new perspectives on people. And specially it made me want to travel more.
And what to say about Cape Town? It is one of the best cities that I’ve been to. It’s combination of African culture, with European looks make it a place hard to leave. When I first arrived to South Africa, I new little about CT, but when I decided to move here, I immediately knew that I was going to have lots of fun.
I want to thank Lee and Toni for giving me the opportunity to work in such amazing place, and giving me the possibility to do tours and activities I never thought I would experience.